Friday, August 15, 2008

Have I been this bad?

I know all of the dedicate readers to Scoops & Pliers have been hounding us for more hard-hitting posts. I know because I've seen the email box filled to the roof. With that, I pledge to get back to more blogging & updates and offer a "Scoop the Mailbag" episode here, this Friday, August 15, 2008:

Dear Scoops,

What's your opinion regarding Gopher football this year? Will the newcomers help, or are they still a few years away?

Sincerely,
Jim Rome (rome@haveatake.com)
Los Angeles, CA

Jim,

A bit from column A; a bit from column B. The newcomers will help with depth and instant playing time. But it still takes time, they're still going to be wet behind the ears, and it's still a rebuilding process. I've said from the moment I was at the spring game that this team would be 5-7 overall, 2-6 in the Big Ten. I see them most likely dropping the road game at Bowling Green as that will be a difficult test for the young secondary. And I see them winning 2 of 3 from the home combo against Indiana, Northwestern & Iowa. Crazy pick? They aren't as far off as some think, but they are still having to change a culture of learning how to win. They have QB depth, a bit more talent at WR (although still quite young), and the defense will be better all around with more depth at the DL and LB. A RB needs to step up & be found, the OL needs to mesh (potential to be decent, but still raw), and the secondary has to help the defense get off the field. I still am sticking with 5-7, but after Illinois on 10/11, you have 5 winnible games to close out the season (I'm including Wisconsin because the Brewster proved last year that the Gophers WILL play as well as they possibly can against their rivals). And best of all? 11/22 will be the last day in the dome.

Scoops,

The Twins. I just can't understand them. I've always admired them as an organization and developing talent, but this year absolutely blindsided me. What do you think of them this year and for the future?

Regards,
Buster Olney
ESPN.com

Buster,

I didn't see it coming either. In fact, this is easily my favorite Twins season since 1991 because not only was it unexpected, but there is A LOT of hope for the future. Mauer & Morneau are just entering the primes of their careers, Young is only 22 years old as is Go-Go Gomez, I love the way that D-Span plays, and their starting pitching is talented & young. A lot of people got on the Twins for not making a deal at the deadline, and perhaps they could have added someone for the bullpen because that is their big weakness right now, but I'm glad they didn't go after a short-term solution like a Beltre. This team has a vision. It was supposed to be a developmental year while the Indians & Tigers kicked around the A.L. Central. And you have the usual suspects in the Twins & ChiSox up top. I like for them to be on top at the end of the year due to the Contrares injury. Both team's have weak bullpens (minus Nathan). I think the key will be health the rest of the year. However, I don't see either team challenging the Angels.

Scoops,

Why would I want to bomb innocent people for 40 virgins from Allah? Wouldn't I want an experienced girl? I'm not talking a total slut, but someone that knows a bit about what they're doing?

Sincerely,
Muhammad Akbar
Karachi, Pakistan

Mo,

I hear ya, and you make some valid points. My recommendation is to squash the suicide bombings and hit the frat/sorority scene at a Big Ten, SEC or Big XII university (except Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Kansas State, and Texas Tech). Besides: what do the bombings really prove? I can confess that we all forget rather quickly about the ones that think they're going to be a martyr for what they did. We simply call you a coward, tell you try to move to a piece of land that has the ability to grow fruits & plants, and mix in a bit of technology in your lives. I'll be at the tailgate lot in 15 days if you want to discuss further.

Scoops,

I heard about your recent craps run up in Northern Wisconsin. Good job, but can I ask you why you were playing the Come Line so much?

Regards,
Golden Nugget
Las Vegas, NV

G-Nug,

It was odd, I'll admit. The come line was hot. I'd place a bet, back the odds, and the numbers kept on hitting. In hindsight, I should have been just going with $15/each on the 4, 5, 9 & 10 because they payouts would have been better at $27 for $15 and $21 for $15 respectively just going place compared to the $25 for $15 and $20 for $15 I had with the come line & come line odds. I guess I've always gone with the come as kind of an insurance in case the 7-out hits: at least I'll get back $5. But your point is well taken.

Scoops,

Will you be offering picks actually updated this year, or are you going to flame out and quit halfway as the Gopher losses mount up as the fall goes on?

Sincerely,
Bret Bilemma
Madison, WI

Bret,

I didn't know you were such a fan of the blog. Remind me to do an "Outtakes" episode with you the week of the Gopher-Badger game. As to your snide remark, I'd worry a bit less about my picks against the spread and a bit more about the ability of your football team to nearly lose to a 1-11 football team, finding a QB that can throw a forward pass, and keeping your players from smacking their girlfriends & out of jail. By the way: the Big Ten records may say that the Gophers were 0-8 in conference play, but my wallet says that the Gophers were 4-2-2 against the spread versus the Big Ten, including a money-making day against your squad. Stay classy, Double-B!

NEXT WEEK: SCOOPS' BIG TEN PREDICTIONS

No comments: