Monday, September 17, 2007

Scoops' CFB Quick Hits

Here’s my quick hits from the past weekend that was college football:
-Minnesota’s defense is BAD. It is even worse than what was previously thought. Things are going to get rough the next two weeks. The offense has some potential, but they can’t keep turning the ball over. I think 3 Big Ten wins would be super at this point, which doesn’t seem that far of a stretch considering the Big Ten this season.
-USC continues to do their thing. As does Oklahoma & LSU. It will be interesting to watch what happens the rest of the season as they try to impress pollsters & go BCS watching if all happen to run the table. It’s funny to think that losses like UCLA at Utah may have a big impact in who’s playing for the national title.
-I stand by my prediction: Wisconsin will drop 2-3 conference games, minimum. Being tied with the Citadel a week after barely scratching out a win at UNLV, who got blasted this past weekend, is not a good sign.
-If you think things are bad for Gopher fans, things are a lot worse for Notre Dame. In fact, I couldn’t laugh any harder. I wasn’t a huge Ty Willingham guy, but to see him run out of town and the praise for Charlie Weiss because he lost a close game to USC is hard to stomach. I normally don’t play the race card, but you have to have Weiss play by the same standard as Willingham. If Notre Dame isn’t at where their expectation bar is set at by the end of 2008, you have to consider dismissing Weiss, if you’re going to play by those rules. I think the guy laughing at all of this, along with Willingham, is Bob Davie. The guy may have not been the best fit for Notre Dame head man, but he is a fantastic football mind and I’m sure he’s laughing each & every Saturday night from whatever booth he’s broadcasting from saying to himself “man, was getting let go from that place the best thing ever for me.”
-Things aren’t too good down in Iowa City either. Two wins over a marginal team and an awful team followed by a loss to a sub-par team that lost to a I-AA school last week. And Scoops called it, at least spread wise.
-And not to toot my own horn, but my lead pipe lock of Florida over Tennessee was like stealing money. Tennessee couldn’t win down there when they were good. You honestly think they were going to keep it under double digits this past weekend? And Teabow can throw the football. He’s fun to watch.
-Entertaining Texas-UCF game on Saturday. And I’m not too high on Texas, but I don’t fault them for their win at all. UCF was playing with crazy heart & emotion, two dangerous things in college football. Any win out of that new stadium festive atmosphere was a good win for the Longhorns.
-I would move Florida up into the top tier now with USC, Oklahoma & LSU. But getting a win in Baton Rouge is going to be a difficult task. Think about the athletes on that field, especially when Florida’s offense is going up against LSU’s defense. That right there is going to be the regular season game of the year, at least pre game of the year.

Scoops’ Record ATS: 7-4. Season Record ATS: 13-9

No comments: