Thursday, October 16, 2008

Peoria's Picks - 10/16

“Love in an elevator, Livin’ it up while I’m goin’ down.” I never thought that Aerosmith would provide such good metaphors for my picks two weeks in a row, but sometimes Steven Tyler has the answers. After a dominating week of picks last week, I took a major dump this week going 3-5. Sure, that’s only one win from breaking even, but after the vig, I’d still be a loser if Oklahoma figured out how to stop Quan Cosby and company (On a sidenote, I think that whoever ends up with Cosby in the NFL is going to be very happy, especially since he figures to slide to the 3rd round or so since he is vertically challenged…but that guy can flat out play).

Last Week – 3-5
YTD – 24-25-1

TCU getting 2 vs. Brigham Young. TCU has gotten back to its roots of painfully ugly uniforms (it’s the color scheme, really) and hardnosed defense. Remember, they held Oklahoma to 35 points. BYU should have lost to a bad Washington team, and things have been going so swimmingly for them lately that I can see them not getting up for this one. I like the Horned Frogs to win a close one, TCU 28, BYU 24.

Wisconsin getting 4 at IOWA. Talk about a downward spiral into the toilet of the Big Ten. Wisconsin is set to lose their 4th Big Ten game in a row if they can’t pull it together in Iowa City, and you know Ferentz is going to have his troops ready. I’m not sure that the BADgers will win this game, but I can’t see Iowa giving more than 3 points here. With desperation on the side of Wisconsin, I like the BADgers to cover. Wisconsin 24, Iowa 27.

The OVER at 62.5 on the Colorado/KANSAS STATE game. If Texas A&M can put up 30 on K-State, Colorado is good for at least 42 this week. Also, the Over is 20-6 on the last 26 K-State road games. Yep. I like the over here, for shiggety. K-State 35, Colorado 48.

The OVER at 60 on the Oregon St./WASHINGTON game. The train has officially left the "Ty Willingham as respected coach" station in Seattle, and I think that there is a distinct possibility that the Huskies go winless this year. If they do, they will certainly be the best winless team in recent college football history. Jake Locker can still move the football, and Oregon State put up SIXTY-SIX (almost the Number of the Beast) points on Washington State last week. That’s a lot of points. The over should be a lock here. Oregon St. 48, Washington 38.


Louisiana State by 3 at SOUTH CAROLINA. So what that LSU got blown out worse than Chuckwheat’s knee ligaments last week. South Carolina STILL does not have a quarterback worth a crap, and Ricky-Jean François Bergeron le Sportsac Avec Frites (Say it Frenchie....SAY IT!!) is back in the lineup this week after missing last week’s game. I don’t care if this game is in Columbia, I like LSU to pull away late and send a message to the rest of the SEC that they are not going anywhere while Lester Miles is in charge. Tigers 27, Gamecocks 13.

Va Tech getting 3.5 at BOSTON COLLEGE. Since all the nuns around here rip me for picking against the Irish, I’m switching my anti-catholic football picks against BC. The underdog is 7-2 ATS the last nine meetings, and Tyrod Taylor is gaining momentum as a decent QB. Plus, I just hate those smug assholes at BC. By the way, since college hockey started last weekend, let's not forget that THE BEANPOT IS A F**KING JOKE YOU A**HOLES! That should be reason enough for this pick to be correct, right? Va Tech 24, BC 20.

Miami by 4 at DUKE. Duke has faced exactly ONE athletic defense, Georgia Tech. The result? 132 total yards of offense, and a 17-0 loss. Gaining 132 yards in a college football game brings back memories of Harry Doyle…ONE GODDAMN HIT? THAT’S ALL WE GOT, ONE GODDAMN HIT? Well I can say goddamn on the air, and I like Miami to hold the Dukes under 200 yards of offense again this week. Miami 31, Duke 10.


Texas Tech by 20.5 vs. TEXAS A&M. I think that instead of picking Oklahoma until they failed to cover, I should just pick against A &M all year long. A 1-5 record ATS so far this year, with no end in sight. They have given up 44 (K-State), 56 (Okla St.), and 41 points (Miami) against BCS opponents this year with a winning record, and they are giving up 7 yards per pass attempt. If I were campaigning for a Heisman like Harrell and Crabtree are, I’d make this a statement game. Red Raiders 56, Aggies 17.

No comments: