Thursday, October 23, 2008

Peoria's Picks - 10/23

Ouch. Two weeks in a row of a 3-5 record, and the guys in Vegas are looking mighty smart. In my defense, a bunch of my losses were by 3 points or less. Of course that doesn't mean jack crap, but I thought it would be better if I made an excuse about being wrong instead of admitting that my handicapping just isn't living up to what I had hoped at the beginning of the year. Anyway, onto this week's games.

Last week - 3-5
YTD - 27-30-1

The OVER at 51 on the Minnesota/PURDUE game. Tiller vs. Dunbar. I'd like the over odds on that matchup if they were coaching junior high kids in rurual Alaska. Marcus Sherels is a nice player and everything, but I don't see the Gophs stopping Purde as easily as they stopped a poorly coached Illini team. Minnesota 38, Purdue 35.

Kentucky getting 26.5 at FLORIDA. I know that many of you out there are saying, "No Pliers, don't pick another Florida game...you hate Urban Meyer so much that it clouds your judgement and you always lose!!" Yeah, well EFF YOU. Answer me this: when was the last time a 5-2 team in the SEC was a 26.5 point underdog? This line seems WAAAAY too inflated to me. Kentucky just needs to channel the memories of Hal Mumme and they will be just fine to cover. Florida 38, Kentucky 17.

The OVER at 56 on the Unlv/BYU game. The Moromon Mafia is back in effect this week against a very mediocre UNLV squad who has to travel to Provo for the game. If you are a UNLV player, how do you adjust to that travel schedule? Having to make the trip from the pinnacle of human debauchery to the zenith of biblical prudence has to take a toll on a guy. I bet BYU scores over 50 points in this game alone. BYU 52, UNLV 17.

South Florida by 4 at LOUISVILLE. I love Kragthorpe, but I love Grothe even better. 12 TDs and only 3 picks this year so far for a guy who looks like he could be either the starting Left Fielder for the local Rays squad (C'mon Biscuits!) or possibly a bodyguard with a bad temprament for Miley Cyrus. Either way, Louisville just doesn't have the horses this year, and South Florida's athletcisim is highly underrated. USF 28, Louisville 17.

MARYLAND by 10.5 vs. North Carolina State. Who knows which Maryland team will show up this week? The team that put the smackdown on Wake Forest, or the team that got blown the eff up by a poor Virginia team? I'm not sure, but I do like their defense, and I also like that they are at home. Plus, NC State is a complete abomonation, so the Terps have that going for them, which is nice. Terps 31, NC State 14.

Alabama by 6 at TENNESSEE. My anti-love affair with Philly Fulmer is well documented, as is my concentrated hatred of Benedict Arn...err...Nick Saban. What I can't understand is why this spread is less than a TD? Yeah, so maybe the Knoxville faithful are good for a few points, but how many times is Tennessee going to breach the opponents 35 yard line? Three? Four? This is going to be on ugly football game, and that is without taking John Parker Wilson's haircut into consideration. Tide 28, Vols 10.

MISSOURI by 20 vs. Colorado. Statement game for Chase, Chase, and Jeremy. Time to reload the anger that got them to the BCS bowl last year. Colorado is simply a mediocre football team that is prone to mistakes. Mizzou gets back to Pinkelball this week as Mizzou rolls over everyone else and barely missesout on the Big 12 championship game. Mizzou 51, Colorao 21.

The OVER at 58 on the Eastern Michigan/BALL STATE game. My token MAC pick. Both of these teams can score at will. This oughta be an easy over, I'm amazed it's less than 60. EMU 31, Ball State 42.

No comments: