Wednesday, September 16, 2009

SEPTEMBER 19th PICKS: CAN I WIN ANY MONEY?

Last Week: 2-7
Overall: 6-13
Win/Loss: - $66.50

I apologize if you’re actually still listening to me. Probably better of running for the hills rather than put your money on anything that I say. Getting killed right now. Worst of it is I’m getting killed on the games that I actually think I know what I’m doing. I’m hitting the ones that I have no idea on. Hopefully can get off the snide here.

Cal (-14) over MINNESOTA: All I’m hoping for this week is the Gophers to keep it close. Cal may be the best team they face the entire season, so as this game makes them a better team for when they face Wisconsin & Iowa, I’m all for it.

Regarding the game. Minnesota’s offense is completely sleepwalking through the 1st half right now. They showed some signs of life in the 2nd half, but that won’t cut it against the speed that Cal will show. I think the Gophers have a shot if they can keep Best in the 90-120 yard range. But I see a complete ability of Cal to exploit the biggest weakness in the Gophers Defense, which is the safeties. Gophers play with emotion early, but Cal pulls away.
FINAL SCORE: CALIFORNIA 34, MINNESOTA 17

Indiana (+4.5) over AKRON: One of my classic “I have no idea” games, which I’m surprisingly pretty good at thus far in the season. I do know that Indiana’s defense isn’t playing horrible, and that’s enough for me when you’re a 4.5 dog against a MAC team.
FINAL SCORE: AKRON 20, INDIANA 17

IOWA (-5.5) over Arizona: Iowa seemed to get off the Ames hex that’s been placed over them last week with a bombing of a poor Iowa State team. Home crowd should be enough to give them a 10 point victory.
FINAL SCORE: IOWA 24, ARIZONA 13

MICHIGAN (-22.5) over Eastern Michigan: Freaking Eastern Michigan. For two weeks in a row, they’ve caused the pain in my 3-team teaser. That shit ends this Saturday as Michigan shows no letdown and continues to attempt to show everyone that they’re back.
FINAL SCORE: MICHIGAN 38, EASTERN MICHIGAN 10

Michigan State (+11) over NOTRE DAME: MSU has owned Notre Dame recently and 11 points is just too much.
FINAL SCORE: NOTRE DAME 34, MICHIGAN STATE 27

Northwestern (-3) over SYRACUSE: Perhaps Syracuse isn’t as dogshit as I previously thought? And Northwestern is not getting the defensive line play that was expected either. The Cats need the tune up before the Big Ten season kicks off next weekend and they will eek out the win in the Carrier Dome, continuing Paulus & Marrone’s unhappy start.
FINAL SCORE: NORTHWESTERN 24, SYRACUSE 20

OHIO STATE (-20.5) over Toledo: What I expect out of the Buckeyes this week is a lot of answering to the “your offense is what lost you the game versus USC last week” statement that’s hanging around C-Bus. Ohio State tries to send a message that they have some offensive talent still, despite a conservative approach on the sidelines.
FINAL SCORE: OHIO STATE 34, TOLEDO 10

Temple (+30.5) over PENN STATE: I’m sick & tired of trying to have Penn State cover these 4 TD spreads when they’re quite content winning by 3 TD’s.
FINAL SCORE: PENN STATE 38, TEMPLE 10

Northern Illinois (+13.5) over PURDUE: NIU is a decent MAC team, lost by only 8 at Madison, and will keep it at the 10 point range over a Purdue team that seems a bit peskier than first believed.
FINAL SCORE: PURDUE 31, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 20

[**] Iowa (+0.5) / Cal (-7.5) / Texas (-10) 6.5 point teaser: I have to start hitting some of the teasers I have going. I think Iowa beats Arizona, Cal takes Minnesota by more than 1 score, and Texas gets some big sized revenge on Texas Tech this weekend. [$5 teaser wager, $8 payoff]

[**] Iowa (+0.5) / Northwestern (+2) / Clemson (pk) 6.5 point teaser: I gotta hit one of these, right? [$5 teaser wager, $8 payoff]

[**] Pitt (-0.5) / Colorado (-0.5) / Maryland (pk) 6.5 point teaser: Or is 3rd time the charm? I like Pitt over Navy, Colorado to get a desperation mode win over Wyoming, and Maryland to get a win over Middle Tennessee State. [$5 teaser wager, $8 payoff]

FLORIDA (-29.5) over Tennessee: Kiffin will eventually get some guys in, but this is not the year. And with all the hubbub that’s gone on during the offseason, Meyer is in a complete F-U mode in this game and won’t be shy about running up the score.
FINAL SCORE: FLORIDA 54, TENNESSEE 13

1 comment:

Todd Olson said...

Scoops,

Don't be so hard on yourself about this early season slump...you'll bounce back. I always thought you were a bit of an underachiever anyway.